Monday, June 25, 2012

Don't take freedom of speech for granted

Living in Hong Kong, I have been taking freedom-of-speech for granted.  In particular, I'm a common citizen more interested in health issues than real life politics.  The usual issue for me is apathy rather than having people wanting me to shut up (well, for me the latter is actually more interesting than the former!)   That's why I find it interesting (and with a little bit of initial surprise) that my first post in this entire blog with some political overtone quickly got the attention of two fellows who apparently not interested in meditation or martial art and most likely never read my posts before!  I would like to share this interesting internet episode below with my readers.

I posted an article "Spiritual versus human compassion" on 19 June 2012.  I received no feedback from my meditation/martial art/spirituality blogging friends.  Yet, to my surprise, I immediately received two feedback from someone unknown to me before.  One comment from a seasoned blogger running a number of blogs (like one called "Myth of Tienanmen Massacre", everyone in Hong Kong has no problem figuring out where he stands on issues), and another sending me email (I assume two different individuals, may likely be just one!).  The comment everybody can see.  The email guy relentlessly "demanding" me to substantiate my claim in my post that the case is suspicious, and my replies never seem able to satisfy his "curiosity".  Being a martial artist at heart, I responded to every email that this guy sent to me. That totaled to 22(!!) until yesterday.  I told this guy that his emails actually motivated me to take more interest in the case of Li's suspicious death and I demonstrated my point by putting up two more posts, to test the water so to speak (that is probably not these guys have been bargaining for,...for his pressing tone did softened after I told him that he motivated me to post more on the subject....:):))

In Hong Kong, the issue of whether Li's death is suspicious is a non-issue.  Secretary Chow's statement (quoted in my post A few good people) more or less represented the overall feeling and empathy of Hong Kong people towards Li's death.

I would imagine if I were in Mainland China and if I would write about people's suspicion on Li's death like I did here, I would be inundated with more of these guys.  And chances are they will be less friendly than they have exhibited here, and I would probably be made to "shut up" like what they did towards Li's sympathizers in the Mainland.

These fellows taught me a lesson: Don't take freedom of speech for granted.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...